Best Friends Animal Society
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lifesaving Center Operations Manager
at Best Friends Animal Society
- 561 - Atlanta Rescue Center
- Atlanta, GA, USA
- Full Time
Location: Atlanta, GA
Position Summary: The Lifesaving Center Operations Manager is responsible for managing the admissions, caregiving, and adoption programs for Best Friends - Atlanta. Operational responsibilities include the hiring and performance management of staff, ensuring organizational standards of care and customer service, management of the associated budgets, and helping set and achieve Best Friends Atlanta's Lifesaving Center goals.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Work with the Executive Director to define the Lifesaving Center goals for Best Friends - Atlanta. Communicate lifesaving goals to staff and implement action plans and written expectations to be used in performance evaluations.
- Oversee operations, foster program, medical staff, and animal behavior development for the Lifesaving Center.
- Work with the Executive Director and other Lifesaving programs staff to develop effective and resourceful Lifesaving Center SOPs to ensure consistency with organizational policies and standards.
- Work with the medical team to establish and maintain optimal herd health medicine and prevent the spread of disease.
- Operate consistently with the Georgia Department of Agriculture regulation of animal shelters.
- Directly oversee the Operations team including areas of:
- Conflict resolution
- Identify and address employee relations and operations issues
- Identify, address, and evaluate staff performance
- Present recommendations to the Executive Director about staff performance (areas for opportunity, strengths, future goals, potential, etc) to encourage performance feedback that moves the department and staff forward.
- Ensure Operations Lead is properly supervising the work of their direct reports. Assist that role as needed when it comes to the management of that team.
- Perform and oversee the answering of client inquiries including but not limited to: answering the phone and basic questions from the public and appropriately directing calls to other team members when relevant, checking voice mail messages and overseeing call backs and information is delivered to appropriate staff as well as respond to general email inquiries.
- Coordinate showcasing of Best Friends - Atlanta program animals in Best Friends Events, third party events and mobile adoption events.
- Assist and consult with the Intake Coordinator for selection of pets transferring into the Lifesaving Center.
- Work with Foster Coordinator to ensure proper care and facilitate outcomes for pets in foster care.
- Ensure that staff, community partners and volunteers deliver quality customer service including disseminating appropriate information as well as perform duties in a manner which encourages attainment of goals, contributions and business for Best Friends Animal Society and its programs.
- Partner with HR representative and/or Executive Director as needed to interview, hire, train, perform consistent and timely corrective action and terminate employees consistent with the organization's mission, contracts, philosophy and law.
- Assist with retail sales, inventory and ordering of all retail for the Lifesaving Center. Retail includes logo merchandise and basic animal supplies for sale at time for adoption
- Ensure all donations are properly recorded per the guidelines established by Development.
- Work with local rabies control authority, Cobb County Animal Control, to ensure all bite quarantines are followed per local regulation.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Skills / Experience:
- Management and leadership experience: 5+ years of management experience preferred.
- Background in the humane movements: 5+ years experience working for or with a humane organization preferred.
- 3 years customer service experience required.
- Must have the ability to make decisions on behalf of the organization as it pertains to the admittances of pets into the program.
- Proven ability to promote a positive work environment.
- Experience with efficient shelter operations.
- Experience overseeing an adoption program.
- Experience with program development.
- Engaging and friendly interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with the public and various forms of media outlets on behalf of the organization.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends Animal Society positions on issues.
- Proficiency with a variety of computer tools such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, database, internet research, etc. Experience with animal management software preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, positive, personable, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, and uses tact and diplomacy.
- Resourceful, roll up the sleeves attitude. The successful candidate must have the initiative to resolve problems and seek answers independently and enthusiastically demonstrate flexibility to persist until goals are achieved.
- Knowledgeable of breeds, care giving, and characteristics of animals.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes weekends, night, and holiday work. Must have flexible schedule.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Ability to drive a van/commercial vehicle.
- Ability to effectively interact with and handle all animals including cats and dogs.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
- Will be required to visit off-site Best Friends programs and events.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to above 100 degrees.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including but not limited to: walking, hiking, bending, lifting, carrying, twisting, reaching, stooping and squatting.
- Ability to effectively and safely handle a variety of animals and spend extensive periods of time with those animals in close quarters.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.