City of East Point
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of East Point
Job Summary: Individuals in this position are responsible for the safety and security of prisoners in and visitors to the City jail. Work includes booking, supervising and controlling of detainees; enforcement of security rules, regulations and procedures; and, the provision of services and information to detainees.
- Major Duties
· Receives and books detainees including fingerprinting, photographing and issuing uniforms;
· Collects, inventories and logs inmate property at booking;
· Maintains routine operations and security of the jail including checks jail to verify that all prisoners are accounted for; monitors location and activity of prisoners;
· Completes and maintains all arrest and booking reports on all prisoners and persons placed on bond;
· Places prisoners in an assigned jail cell and removes them for release or transportation;
· Arranges for escort to transport to other locations.
· Assures safety and health of prisoners:
· Monitors prisoner activity in jail cells;
· Assures prisoners receive meals;
· Dispense necessary medications as prescribed by physician;
· Arranges for prisoner to be transported for medical care as needed;
· Administers intoximeter test to D.U.I. suspects;
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
High school diploma or equivalent; Associate's degree or related college coursework preferred; law enforcement related training or experience preferred; must have a valid State of Georgia driver's license; equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge Required by the Position
· Knowledge of federal, state and local laws pertaining to inmate sentencing, pretrial conditions, and release;
· Knowledge of the policies and procedures established by the East Point Police Department.
· Knowledge of Georgia records retention laws;
· Knowledge of policies and procedures covering inmate security, classification, care and discipline;
· Ability to exercise sound judgment in routine and emergency situations;
· Ability to receive and maintain CPR certification, Advanced First Aid certification and any other training as required;
· Ability to work in a hazardous and confining working environment;
· Ability to deal tactfully and firmly with inmates and the public;
· Ability to prepare and maintain records;
· Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees;
· Ability to understand and carry out oral and written orders;
· Ability to obtain P.O.S.T. certification (Peace Officer Standard Training) as a "Basic Jail Officer".
Supervisory Controls: This position does not supervise staff.
Guidelines: Guidelines include federal, state and local laws and departmental policies and procedures. These guidelines require sound judgment and interpretation in application.
Complexity: Work includes the observation and accompaniment of inmates inside the cell and City Jail and related care and record keeping requirements. Tactfulness and firmness are required in frequent contacts with violent, suicidal and mentally disturbed inmates.
Scope and Effect: The purpose of this position is to ensure the safety and security of prisoners in and visitors to the City Jail. Successful implementation of the work results in a safer atmosphere, a decrease in inmate conflict and an increase in visitor security.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are typically with co-workers, law enforcement officer, inmates, other City employees and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, resolve problems and provide services.
Physical Demands: Strong hand-eye coordination; using personal computers for logs; climbing stairs; moving heavy objects via pushing, pulling, etc; crawling through small spaces; kneeling or crouching in small, confined areas; lifting materials, equipment and persons exceeding 100lbs.; and disruption of sleep patterns as a result of rotation and/or irregular shift work.
Work Environment: Work is performed primarily in a detention center but may involve a jail van or other vehicle, exposing an incumbent to potentially dangerous people, long periods of sitting and standing. Situations may require physical agility and the ability to pull an object weighing 150 pounds a distance of 50 feet.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: None.