City of East Point
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of East Point
This position is responsible for performing storm water engineering work in the design, investigation, construction and environmental compliance for state, federal and city reporting.
- Major Duties
To plan, manage, and coordinate the activities and operation of the City's Storm Water Management Program, including implementation and administration of the City's NPDES, MS4 and Storm Water Utility Program. This position is responsible for all environmental technical reports submitted to the state, federal government and the city for compliance.
- Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Environmental Science or related field required; CPESC preferred; four (4) years of related experience; Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Certification (GSWCC) Level 1B & II Certification; valid State of Georgia Driver's License; equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge Required by the Position
- Prepares engineering designs, specifications, costs and quantity estimates for Water, storm and Sewer projects; obtains required easements or permits for streets and storm drainages;
- Assists in the development of City Storm water projects;
- Conducts site inspections of construction projects and discusses problems that may require project changes with affected crews or contractors; recommends methods of resolving unusual, complex engineering problems related to storm water drainage, road construction and water and sewer;
- Serves as a project lead; researches applicable codes, regulations and requirements for assigned projects; develops engineering plans and compiles preliminary layout of plans; writes specifications for plans; coordinates required advertising for bids; advises contractor(s) and construction inspectors during actual construction;
- Reviews plans through "red-lining," making plan review comments on development plans, and assists with final decisions on coordination of development permits;
- Facilitates engineering bid proposals on City projects and provides bid recommendations to the City Council;
- Investigates citizen complaints regarding roadway, storm drainage and right-of-way problems related to the City infrastructure projects and makes recommendations for corrective action as needed; this may include writing citations and preparing for court cases.
- Supervises or acts as survey party chief for in-house surveying requirements;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Controls: The Water and Sewer Director assigns work in terms of general instructions. Work is spot-checked and reviewed for accuracy and the nature and propriety of results. This position will manage a variety of positions within the Storm Water Division.
Guidelines: Guidelines include generally accepted engineering practices, Federal (AASHTO), State and Local statutes and regulations, MUTCD, and GADOT standard specifications. These guidelines are general as well as clear and specific and may require some interpretation in application.
Complexity: This position consists of a variety of tasks involving engineering and project management.
Scope and Effect: This position is responsible for engineering related to the design and construction of Storm Water projects, complaints and investigations to meet environmental compliance.
Personal Contacts: Contact is typically with co-workers, engineers, regulatory officials, contractors, construction workers and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically accessed to give and exchange information, resolve problems and provide services.
Physical Demands: The work is typically performed with the employee sitting, standing, walking, carrying, climbing, crawling, bending, stooping or kneeling and may lift light to moderately heavy objects. Employee is required to move around construction sites and to use tools requiring a high degree of dexterity.
Work Environment: The work is typically performed in both an office and outdoor environment. The employee may be exposed to dirt, dust, noise, machinery with moving parts, rough terrain and occasional sustained exposure to hot, cold or inclement weather. The employee may be required to wear protective and safety equipment as needed.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: None.