Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior R&D Engineer
- Job ID
- Job Location
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
Is This The Role For You?
We hire smart people with big hearts. People who have a passion for their work and who strive every day to help others. Our work requires bold and innovative leaders; people who bring strong values and ethics to their role.
If you’re ready for a career that allows you to grow and develop into the professional you want to be – today and in the future….CryoLife is the place for you.
Leverage extensive knowledge of material science and engineering design to advance the development of advanced medical devices in the structural heart and vascular space.
Identify and develop next generation and disruptive technologies through partnerships and collaboration with clinicians and external and internal partners. Delineate in vitro and in vivo test plans to allow for development of new medical devices. Modify current products to improve manufacturability, reliability, and resolve manufacturing issues through collaboration with internal and external partners. Create documentation and coordinate/execute testing to characterize and qualify concepts, products, and methods.
Investigate and evaluate technologies for future generation of medical devices. This includes:
- Design, fabrication, and testing of prototypes
- Consulting with physician users to optimize and select between potential designs
- Present recommendations to senior management. Recommendations may include development of technologies in-house, licensing technologies from an external partner, or contracting development to an external partner
Develop intellectual property IP
Development of test plans for design verification and validation
Create 3D models and engineering drawings for products as well as any tools and fixtures
Serve as technical project lead for complex projects
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, MS preferred
- 8+ years of experience working in medical device design and development of disposable and implantable devices
- Knowledge in materials associated with medical devices such as polymers (nylons, polyethylene, polypropylene, PEEK, Pebax, PTFE, FEP, polycarbonate, etc.) metals (stainless steel, aluminum, nitinol, platinum etc.), ceramic, fiber, composites, etc.
- Knowledge in processes associated with medical manufacturing such as shrinking (reflow), RF welding, laser bonding, welding & cutting, thermal bonding, adhesive bonding, braiding, coil winding, insert molding, hydrophilic coating, plasma treatment, cleaning processes, cutting/skiving/slitting, crimping, etc.
- Experience developing User Requirements and Design Input requirements
- Experience creating 3D CAD models and 2D engineering drawings. Must be a proficient user of SolidWorks. Must be familiar with ASME Yl4.5-2009.
- Experience developing and procuring conceptual and functional prototypes
- Experience developing and executing mechanical benchtop tests and experiments
- Experience authoring Design Verification and Design Validation protocols and reports, and coordinating or performing the execution of those studies
- Experience performing and documenting FMEA’s and risk analyses
- Familiarity with common medical device manufacturing processes such as injection molding, extrusion, adhesive bonding, solvent bonding, grinding, tipping, pad printing, laser marking, tray sealing, manual assembly, automated assembly, etc.
- Experience with leading complex projects
Who We Are.
CryoLife is one of the world’s contemporary medical device companies providing preserved human cardiac and vascular tissues, surgical adhesives and sealants, cardiac lasers and implantable end-stage renal disease access grafts for the repair of complex cardiac and vascular reconstruction surgeries. Since the Company’s inception in 1984, it is estimated that its products and tissues have been implanted in about 900,000 patients worldwide.
CryoLife technology and products bring restoration and hope to people all around the world. CryoLife headquarters are located in Kennesaw, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta.
CryoLife is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
CryoLife provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
CryoLife is committed to providing reasonable accommodations both in the application and interview process, consistent with legal requirements. If you need a reasonable accommodation while seeking employment, please email ADA_Accommodation@CryoLife.com or call 770-429-5215. A Human Resources representative will return your call. Messages or emails for any reason other than accommodation requests will not be returned.