Georgia Department of Public Health
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Training, Biosafety and Biosecurity Officer
at Georgia Department of Public Health
Pay Grade: M
The Georgia Department of Public Health is the lead agency entrusted by the people of the state of Georgia with the ultimate responsibility for the health of communities and the entire population.
The Georgia Department of Public Health is seeking a highly qualified candidate for a Training, Biosafety and Biosecurity Officer position within the Division of Health Protection, Public Health Laboratory located in Decatur, GA.
- Job Responsibilities
Under general supervision, serves as manager of the Training and Biosafety Officer the Public Health Laboratory, Decatur GA.
- Develops statewide training program for the improvement of BT capacity within the Sentinel (hospital) laboratories.
- Serve as GPHL representative to the Southeastern region of the National Laboratory Training Network (NLTN).
- Evaluates clinical laboratory training materials from other outside resources for applicability to training needs.
- Teaches technical laboratory courses.
- Maintains GPHL training facilities and resources.
- Serves as GPHL point of contact for DPH meetings and training initiatives.
- Employs and participates in workforce development activities.
- Oversees compliance with biosafety and security procedures.
- Prepares for and responds to emergency events.
- Adheres to HIPPA safety and security policies.
- Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in a hard science from an accredited college or university AND Five years of supervisory experience in a laboratory setting OR Bachelor's degree in any related discipline from an accredited college or university AND Seven years of related experience, Five years of which must be in leadership or administrative roles OR Two years of experience required at the lower level Mgr, Health Laboratory (LSM010) or position equivalent. Note: Must meet state clinical laboratory licensure personnel requirements as "technologist" and federal (CLIA '88) requirement for "high complexity" technical supervisor.
- Master's degree in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Medical Technology, Biosafety and Biosecurity.
- Experience with working in Biosafety Level 3 (BSL3) environment.
- Experience with Select Agent regulations.
- Experience with Packaging and Shipping regulations for infectious specimens.
- Teaching experience.
- Ability to be on call - 24/7/365 basis.
NOTE: A fingerprint criminal records investigation is required for appointment to this position. Continued employment is contingent upon successfully obtaining security clearance through the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Additional Information
Georgia Department of Public Health Commissioner and leaders encourage all employees to engage in regular wellness activities and to make lifestyle choices that promote health and well-being.
The use of wellness breaks during the workday is authorized to support this philosophy and assist employees in meeting their wellness goals. A maximum of 30 minutes in a given workday may be used to engage in wellness activities, generally in the form of two 15-minute breaks or one 30-minute break.
Current State employees are subject to State Personnel Board rules regarding salary.
DPH accepts educational credential recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and/or the US Department of Education (DOE) will be considered. DPH will contact educational institutions to verify degree, diploma, licensure, etc.
The candidate selected for this position may be subject to pre-employment drug screening and a criminal background check.
As an employee of DPH, in the event of an identified emergency you may be required, as a term and condition of employment, to assist in meeting the emergency responsibilities of the department.
If you require accommodations under the American Disability Act (ADA), email request by the closing date of this announcement to: DPH-HR@dph.ga.gov.
DPH is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All qualified applicants will be considered, but may not necessarily receive an interview. Selected applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for next steps in the selection process. Applicants who are not selected will not receive notification.
This position is subject to close at any time once a satisfactory applicant pool has been identified.