Georgia's Own Credit Union
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Georgia's Own Credit Union
The Accounting Manager supports the Director of Accounting Operations by providing leadership and employee development, while assisting in the day-to-day direction of staff and other key functions. This position will be responsible for an assigned team of four employees which includes on-going training, coaching, mentoring; as well as, monitoring their daily productivity and attendance. This role also includes overseeing daily and monthly processes of fixed assets, accounts payable, organic and purchased loan accounting, and month-end close support.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Director of Accounting Operations with leading, directing and motivating the accounting team in order to achieve the overall department objectives.
- Maintains positive working relationship with all employees to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working climate which will be conducive to the maximization of employee engagement, morale, productivity, and efficiency/effectiveness.
- Provide direction and coaching to direct reports to develop and enhance their applicable skills and build the overall capabilities of this team.
- Assist in identifying and implementing continuous process improvements.
- Completes timesheets, monitors and tracks PTO, unscheduled time off and tardiness of their assigned team.
- In conjunction with the Controller and Director of Accounting Operations, assign annual goals and complete the annual evaluations process for all direct reports.
- Oversee accounts payable operations ensuring established goals are met, post daily work, and provide constructive feedback to staff. Validate new vendors, act as main contact for the Vendor Management/Compliance department and actively assist with the annual Accounts Payable internal audit.
- Oversee fixed asset processes including monthly depreciations runs, new asset loading, moves, adjustments, disposals, ad hoc reporting, and related projects.
- Coordinate and assist with filing personal property and real estate tax returns and ensure tax payments are accurate and sent by established deadlines.
- Oversee consumer, commercial, and 3rd party lending accounting functions to ensure daily and monthly tasks are completed accurately and by established deadlines.
- Coordinate the integration of new 3rd party relationships and new loan purchases. Assist with developing processes and procedures to be implemented into daily/monthly operations.
- Accurately review and post all monthly, quarterly and miscellaneous journal entries completed by direct reports. Ensure month-end journal entries are completed and recorded by established deadlines.
- Administer team reconciliation process ensuring all assigned balance sheet reconciliations are accurately completed, reviewed, signed/approved, and scanned by established monthly deadline. Assign new reconciliations as new balance sheet general ledger accounts are added.
- Actively participate in accounting related project/initiatives. Provide guidance for general accounting, internal controls, research assistance, and developing efficient operational practices.
- Ensure all roles supervised have a minimum of one cross-trained team member for each job function and that all procedures remain current.
- Prepare accurate and timely journal entries to support daily operations and month-end close.
- Gather data and accurately prepare assigned monthly reports by established deadline.
OTHER JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Proven leadership skills in coaching, mentoring, developing, motivating staff to ensure efficient operations.
- Knowledge of financial institution finance and/or operational areas.
- Experience with accounting and MS Office software (Prologue, TranZact, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Nautilus, Outlook) required.
- Self-motivation and strong work ethic combine with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability communicate complex information with tact and empathy at all levels of the organization.
- Research and analysis orientation with the ability to absorb information and use to produce and present well thought out analysis and reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Excellent problem solving, communication and leadership skills are required.
EDUCATIONAL AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Finance or related field preferred; equivalent work experience in lieu of a degree will be considered.
- 5+ years’ related work and leadership experience, preferably with another financial institution.
- Experience in financial reporting, loan accounting, fixed assets, and/or accounts payable required.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel, is required.
- Full-time hours required with additional hours as necessary.
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. All employees must be able to communicate face to face or through technology with or without reasonable accommodation. Employee will be in an office environment (well-lighted, heated and air-conditioned) typically stationed at a desk or table. Employee will be asked to sit and stand for various increments of time, and to lift/push up 10 lbs. Clerical office duties on various forms of technology are required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
All positions that have lending responsibilities must comply with all requirements under the SAFE ACT, as well as the union’s policies and procedures related to the SAFE ACT. This includes an obligation on the employee’s part to ensure that NMLA registration pertaining to the SAFE ACT is kept current. The employee must notify the credit union within 30 days of any changes that need to be reflected on the NMLS Registry.
Georgia’s Own Credit Union is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with obligations under federal law, every company that is a federal contractor or subcontractor is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance women, minorities, disabled veterans, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans.