Georgia's Own Credit Union
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Commercial Credit Underwriter
at Georgia's Own Credit Union
The Commercial Credit Underwriter primarily supports the activities of both the Commercial Loan Group and the VP- Credit & Portfolio Risk. This position will be responsible for the independent underwriting and ongoing portfolio management of commercial loans to include income producing real estate properties, commercial loans, participations, and other loan types as needed. All underwriting will be consistent with predefined criteria and Commercial Lending policy and guidelines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Commercial Credit Underwriter will work in a team environment collaborating closely with deal team members during the origination and structuring of new commercial opportunities and will maintain a continuing role in the portfolio management and performance monitoring of the active portfolio.
- Review commercial loan opportunities. Conduct in-depth review of balance sheets, income statements and tax returns, business plans and projections to assess ability to generate income sufficient to repay existing and proposed debt. Calculate global cash flow and prepare projections when appropriate.
- Identify risks and assist in structuring the loan to mitigate risks. Assign risk ratings.
- Accompany Commercial Lending officers on customer calls when needed.
- Prepare loan approvals for committee presentation. Document business background, outline risk factors/mitigants and justify assigned risk rating, ensuring conformity with Georgia’s Own credit policy and guidelines and with applicable credit union regulations.
- Assist in presenting loan approvals to committee for consideration as needed.
- Review construction contracts, leases, appraisals, environmental assessment reports, UCC searches, flood determinations, insurance policies and other relevant information to assess risks associated with the credit union’s collateral position.
- Assist VP-Credit & Portfolio Risk with portfolio projects as need.
- Perform independent reviews of portfolio loans to confirm they are closed according to policy and as approved.
- Ensure compliance with all Federal and State regulatory requirements and internal organization policies.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
OTHER JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Financial services industry experience;
- Credit Union experience preferred;
- Capable of developing strong and cooperative inter-departmental partnerships;
- Strong communication skills with the ability to facilitate meetings; and
- High integrity and compatibility with the Credit Union core values.
EDUCATIONAL AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or related field.
- Excellent verbal/written communication, administrative, and computing skills (Microsoft Office)
- Minimum of three years of experience in a federally insured financial institution analyzing commercial credit opportunities.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. All employees must be able to communicate face to face or through technology with or without reasonable accommodation. Employee will be in an office environment (well-lighted, heated and air-conditioned) typically stationed at a desk or table. Employee will be asked to sit and stand for various increments of time, and to lift/push up 10 lbs. Clerical office duties on various forms of technology are required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
SAFE ACT Disclosure
All positions that have lending responsibilities must comply with all requirements under the SAFE ACT, as well as the union’s policies and procedures related to the SAFE ACT. This includes an obligation on the employee’s part to ensure that NMLA registration pertaining to the SAFE ACT is kept current. The employee must notify the credit union within 30 days of any changes that need to be reflected on the NMLS Registry.
Georgia’s Own Credit Union is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with obligations under federal law, every company that is a federal contractor or subcontractor is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance women, minorities, disabled veterans, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans.