Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Planner I - Planning and Development
at Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners
- Class Summary
The function of Gwinnett County Department of Planning and Development is to promote and enhance the quality of life of residents, visitors, property owners and businesses of Gwinnett County. The Department accomplishes its mission through programs and services that encourage high quality development as well as maintenance and revitalization of existing neighborhoods. The Department consists of the Administration Division, Planning Division, and the Development Division.
The Long Range Planning Section of the Planning Division is responsible for formulating policy recommendations and programs to guide future growth and development in Gwinnett County. These duties include the preparation, update, and implementation and monitoring of the Gwinnett County 2040 Unified Plan, sector or small area plans, special projects as well as coordination with the County's municipalities and other local, regional, State and Federal government agencies.
Typical functions of the position include but not are limited to the following:
- Develops planning studies and reports in support of new and updated plans, programs and regulations
- Collects a variety of statistical data and prepares reports and maps on topics such as census information, land use, tax base data, and occupancy rates
- Evaluates or assists in the evaluation of annexations, ordinance amendments, rezonings, site plans, special use permits, variances and other proposals
- Acts as liaison between community groups, government agencies, developers and elected officials in developing long range planning studies
- Conducts field evaluations and assessments
- Attends evening and weekend meetings as needed
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of planning
- Knowledge of a relevant specialization such as transportation, land use, or affordable housing is desired
- Knowledge of principles and practices of research and data collection
- Knowledge of effective writing techniques
- Statistical, algebraic, or geometric knowledge and ability to apply such knowledge in practical situations
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, which may include Microsoft Office, Adobe products, Internet applications, and ArcGIS
- Oral communication and interpersonal skills to explain rules and procedures clearly to the public
- Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve vaguely defined practical problems
- Ability to review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations and to apply regulations to field conditions
- Ability to create graphic designs, development strategies, and render site plans via sketches and/or computer graphics highly desirable.
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment as needed
- Ability to attend to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind
- Bachelor's Degree in urban planning, architecture, public policy, political science, or related area of study
- One Year of related experience;
- and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job as those listed above.
For information related to position specific Essential Duties, Knowledge and Skills and Physical requirements, click here.
- Benefits Offered
- Health, dental, vision, prescription drug insurance plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical and Dependent Care
- HSA/HRA available
- Basic, Optional and Dependent Life Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- On-site Medical Wellness Center
- Holidays: 12 holidays per year
- Annual leave (vacation): 13 day accrual per year
- Sick leave: 13 day accrual per year
- Immunizations (Flu Shots, Tetanus, etc.)
- Wellness Incentive Programs
- Annual Wellness Fair
- 529 College Savings payroll deduction
- Financial Education Programs
- Funeral Leave
- Longevity Pay after 3 years (full-time status)
- Tuition Reimbursement after 2 years (full-time status)
- Employee assistance program
- Uniforms and equipment furnished
- Employee discount programs
- Retirement Benefits include:
- Defined Contribution Retirement Plan
* Employees can choose a contribution rate of 2.5%,5.0%, or 7.5%
* Gwinnett County will contribute 7.0% of your pensionable earnings per pay period.
- Deferred Compensation Plan
* If you contribute at least 2.5% of your base pay to the 457(b) plan, Gwinnett County will contribute an additional 1% to your Defined Contribution Retirement Plan (this is in addition to the 7% described above).