Gwinnett County Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assist Head Custodian - Custodial Services - School
at Gwinnett County Public Schools
Job Reference #: 63283
Openings as of 10/19/2019
- Assist Head Custodian - Custodial Services - School JobID: 63283
- Position Type:
Custodial Services/Assist Head Custodian
- Date Posted:
- Date Available:
|Job Code: Assist Head Custodian - 050001||Standard Hours: 40||Department: Custodial Services - School - 262000||Empl Class: NA|
|Minimum Salary: $19,913.00/Annually|| Maximum Salary: $39,651.00/Annually|| Scheduled Days: 246|| Target Openings: 1|
Education Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Experience Qualifications: One year experience in industrial or commercial custodial work required.
Skills Qualifications: Ability to supervise and train personnel on assigned shift; advanced knowledge of and the ability to proficiently perform, demonstrate, teach, and evaluate the custodial care skills and tasks of the Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) Custodial Care Program and other general custodial practices; ability to relate to administrators, teachers, students, and visitors of the school; ability to hear, understand, follow, and provide oral instructions given in the English language; ability to read, understand, follow, and provide written instructions in the English language at a minimum 6th grade level, such as safety instructions, use and disposal instructions on custodial product labels, GCPS Custodial Toolbox training materials, and other forms, documents, or notes provided by the supervisor or other designated supervisory staff; and ability to organize and lead staff on assigned shift to work effectively together as a team.
Primary Responsibilities: Assist the Head Custodian in supervising and coordinating activities of the school?s custodial staff to follow the GCPS Custodial Care Program and maintain the school and adjacent buildings in a safe, clean, sanitary, and orderly condition.
1. Assist in the supervision of assigned school custodial staff in performing custodial care tasks of the GCPS Custodial Care Program and other general custodial practices to maintain a safe, clean, sanitary, and orderly learning and working environment.
a. Attend assigned sessions of scheduled Assistant Head Custodian staff development meetings or in-service training provided by the Department of Environmental, Print and Supply Services.
b. Conduct and document the training of the assigned custodial staff in all facets of the GCPS Custodial Care Program and other general custodial practices.
c. Inspect completed work for conformance to standards and provide supplemental training to improve skills and achieve standards.
d. Maintain appropriate, positive, and cooperative working relationships with team members, assigned facility staff, and other GCPS employees in all work-related interactions.
e. Assist assigned custodial staff in resolving interpersonal conflicts that arise in working relationships or refer them to the Head Custodian as appropriate.
2. Assist in development and implementation of detailed work schedules and assignments for assigned custodians and ensure areas of the school and adjacent buildings are cleaned and sanitized consistently with the frequencies and standards of the GCPS Custodial Care Program.
a. Monitor daily work of assigned custodial staff to confirm tasks are completed as scheduled.
b. Adjust work schedules of assigned custodial staff when needed and assure critical tasks are completed.
c. Oversee assigned substitute custodians in the extended absence of regular custodial staff.
3. Ensure appropriate chemicals, supplies, and equipment, which have been approved for use according to GCPS Policies and Procedures, are utilized by assigned staff to perform all custodial tasks.
a. Assist with the purchasing of approved items in a timely manner to maintain an adequate inventory of chemicals, supplies, and equipment to perform all custodial tasks in the absence of the Head Custodian.
b. Inspect custodial care tools and equipment to confirm that items are maintained in a clean, sanitary, and safe working condition according to instructions and guidelines of the GCPS Custodial Care Program.
c. Submit electronic service requests with all necessary information to obtain repair of broken custodial equipment in a timely manner in the absence of the Head Custodian.
4. Arrange for the opening and securing of assigned facilities and grounds areas at the time(s) instructed by the principal or principal’s designee in the Head Custodian’s absence.
a. Assist the head custodian in assigning necessary tasks to appropriate custodial staff. Alter assignment of tasks as necessary when impacted by absence or schedule change.
5. Manage custodial care expenditures for chemicals, supplies, tools, equipment, and supplemental labor within respective custodial budgets in the Head Custodian’s absence.
a. Work with bookkeeper or other appropriate local school staff to plan and execute purchases of needed materials, tools, and equipment and to schedule custodians for overtime, part-time, or miscellaneous work within budget parameters.
6. Assist the Head Custodian with on-site support of the general care and maintenance of the school facility, adjacent buildings, and related contents and grounds.
a. Submit electronic service requests with all necessary information for facility and grounds maintenance and pest management in a timely manner in the Head Custodian’s absence.
b. Report vandalism, deliberate littering, and damage of school property to the principal or principal’s designee.
c. Provide relocation and setup of furniture and equipment within assigned facilities to support daily teaching and learning needs.
d. Facilitate the Head Custodian in the surplus and replacement of school furniture and equipment.
e. Assist the Head Custodian in providing for frequent setup and clean up of after school activities and extra-curricular programs coordinated through the Community School Director or Athletic Director
7. Suggest alternate cleaning practices, products, tools, or equipment for the GCPS Custodial Care Program and assist the Environmental, Print and Supply Services Department in related evaluations to identify those that are more efficient or effective.
a. Communicate ideas and suggestions for continuos improvement of the GCPS Custodial Care Program to assigned Head Custodian, Custodial Trainer or other members of the Environmental, Print, and Supply Services Staff. Provide feedback on the observed positive and negative impacts of new cleaning practices, materials, tools, and equipment to these same individuals.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
a. Follow instructions provided by head custodian or other appropriate administrative staff.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit for extended periods of time. Employee is also required to talk, hear, stand, and walk. The employee may be required to use hands to touch, handle, feel, and/or reach. Employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.