Gwinnett County Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Head Custodian - ES/MS - Custodial Services - School
at Gwinnett County Public Schools
Job Reference #: 63521
Openings as of 10/13/2019
- Head Custodian - ES/MS - Custodial Services - School JobID: 63521
- Position Type:
Custodial Services/Head Custodian - ES/MS
- Date Posted:
- Date Available:
|Job Code: Head Custodian - ES/MS - 050006||Standard Hours: 40||Department: Custodial Services - School - 262000||Empl Class: NA|
|Minimum Salary: $25,138.00/Annually|| Maximum Salary: $46,096.00/Annually|| Scheduled Days: 246|| Target Openings: 1|
Education Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Experience Qualifications: Two years experience in all phases of custodial work required. Experience in leading and supervising other personnel preferred.
Skills Qualifications: Ability to supervise and train all assigned personnel across multiple shifts; extensive knowledge of and the ability to expertly perform, demonstrate, teach, and evaluate the custodial care skills and tasks of the Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) Custodial Care Program and other general custodial practices; ability to relate to administrators, teachers, students, and visitors of the school; ability to hear, understand, follow, and provide oral instructions given in the English language; ability to read, understand, follow, and provide written instructions in the English language at a minimum 6th grade level, such as safety instructions, use and disposal instructions on custodial product labels, GCPS Custodial Toolbox training materials, and other forms, documents, or notes provided by the supervisor or other designated supervisory staff; and ability to organize and lead all assigned staff across multiple shifts to work effectively together as a team.
Primary Responsibilities: Supervise and coordinate activities of the school?s custodial staff to follow the GCPS Custodial Care Program and maintain the school and adjacent buildings in a safe, clean, sanitary, and orderly condition under the direction of the principal or principal?s designated administrator.
1. Supervise school custodial staff in performing assigned custodial care tasks of the GCPS Custodial Care Program and other general custodial practices to maintain a safe, clean, sanitary, and orderly learning and working environment.
a. Attend all assigned sessions of scheduled Head Custodian staff development meetings or in-service training provided by the Department of Environmental and Supply Services.
b. Conduct or obtain and document the training of the custodial staff in all facets of the GCPS Custodial Care Program and other general custodial practices.
c. Inspect completed work for conformance to standards and provide supplemental training to improve skills and achieve standards.
d. Complete performance evaluations of all custodial staff.
e. Maintain appropriate, positive, and cooperative working relationships with team members, assigned facility staff, and other GCPS employees in all work-related interactions.
f. Assist all school custodial staff in resolving interpersonal conflicts that arise in working relationships.
2. Develop and implement detailed work schedules and assignments for each school custodian to ensure all areas of the school and adjacent buildings are cleaned and sanitized consistently with the frequencies and standards of the GCPS Custodial Care Program.
a. Monitor daily work of school custodial staff to confirm assignments are completed as scheduled.
b. Adjust work schedules when needed and assure critical tasks are completed.
c. Obtain and assign substitute custodians in the extended absence of regular custodial staff.
3. Ensure appropriate chemicals, supplies, and equipment, which have been approved for use according to GCPS Policies and Procedures, are utilized to perform all custodial tasks.
a. Purchase approved items in a timely manner to maintain an adequate inventory of chemicals, supplies, and equipment to perform all custodial tasks.
b. Inspect custodial care tools and equipment to confirm that items are maintained in a clean, sanitary, and safe working condition according to instructions and guidelines of the GCPS Custodial Care Program.
c. Submit electronic service requests with all necessary information to obtain repair of broken custodial equipment in a timely manner.
4. Arrange for the opening and securing of assigned facilities and grounds areas at the time(s) instructed by the principal or principal’s designee.
5. Manage custodial care expenditures for chemicals, supplies, tools, equipment, and supplemental labor within respective custodial budgets.
6. Provide on-site support of the general care and maintenance of the school facility, adjacent buildings, and related contents and grounds under the direction of the principal or principal’s designee.
a. Submit electronic service requests with all necessary information for facility and grounds maintenance and pest management in a timely manner.
b. Report vandalism, deliberate littering, and damage of school property to the principal or principal’s designee.
c. Provide relocation and setup of furniture and equipment within assigned facilities to support daily teaching and learning needs.
d. Facilitate the surplus and replacement of school furniture and equipment and coordinate with local school and district staff as required.
e. Provide for occasional setup and clean up of after school activities and extra-curricular programs coordinated through the principal or community school director.
7. Suggest alternate cleaning practices, products, tools, or equipment for the GCPS Custodial Care Program and assist the Environmental Supply and Services Department in related evaluations to identify those that are more efficient or effective.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.