Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at IHRC Inc.
JOB TITLE: Microbiologist
POSITION NUMBER: 1908-00532-Micro-03
POSITION LOCATION: Atlanta, GA, USA
ANTICIPATED START DATE: Two weeks after candidate identification
TRAVEL: As required to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
IHRC, Inc. provides scientific, information management, management consulting, bioinformatics, and administrative program support to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other Federal and private sector clients. The successful candidate will be a full-time employee of IHRC, Inc. and will be assigned to the Division of Scientific Resources (DSR), National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic and Infectious Diseases (NCEZID), at the CDC, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA, to provide support for non-research biological science work or support work in various scientific and public health areas associated with numerous biological agents.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Microbiologist will provide support for non-research biological science work or support work in various scientific and public health areas associated with numerous biological agents.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform various techniques to rapidly identify and characterize biological and/or other agents that cause a number of diseases.
- Assist with modifying support methods and requirements, practices, or techniques or existing guide to address current and evolving problems or issues.
- Assist with identifying methods and procedures to collect data, making adjustments in methods and procedures as appropriate during the course of supporting the general duties within the lab.
- Ensure that incoming specimens are processed and triaged maintaining “chain-of-custody.”
- Prepare reports and apply knowledge of the technical rules and procedures applying to general lab duties to document and prepare analyses and reports.
- Identify and carry out guidelines and regulations related to proper handling and storage of various biological materials.
- Prepare and deliver written and oral reports to a variety of individuals and groups in both informal and formal settings within the division.
- Respond to questions for inclusion in a comprehensive report.
- Prepare a wide variety of charts, graphs, spreadsheets, etc. to report on any inconsistencies or area where the data appear inconclusive within the division.
- Record quality results in accordance with established procedures and maintain complete, detailed records of all work performed.
Education and Experience:
- Master of Science degree in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or related biological science with 5-9 years of related experience, or PhD degree in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or related biological science with 0-4 years of related experience
- Knowledge of CDC laboratory policy, quality and regulatory requirements
- Collaboration with scientists in diverse research, development, and production laboratories
- Knowledge and ability to follow all outlined approved CDC Biosafety guidelines in the performance of assigned duties
- Knowledge of laboratory quality systems and general microbiology/biology
- Knowledge of research, development and production equipment
- Knowledge of quality systems and scientific processes
- Knowledge of documentation for equipment calibration and validation
- Knowledge of basic computer and inventory software functions
- Experience working with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Immunizations may be required
- Experience modifying methods based upon evaluation of research results
- Specific detailed knowledge of quality systems and regulatory requirements, handling of clinical specimens, and aseptic techniques
- Demonstrated skills and experience writing project reports, research protocols and manuscripts
- Previous experience working in a similar role
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize new research ideas for project research
- The candidate must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Must be United States citizen or permanent resident or have authorization for employment in the United States
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
To apply for this position:
- If you are viewing this position on the IHRC Career Center, please click on the "Apply Now" button.
- If you are viewing this position on a site other than the IHRC Career Center, you may use the “click to apply” link, or you may apply by visiting our Career Center and searching for the position number listed at the top of this position description.
- To view all of our open positions, and to apply to those positions in which you may be interested, please visit our Career Center, which can also be reached by visiting www.ihrc.com/Careers and clicking on the “View Opportunities” link.
IHRC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. It is the policy of IHRC, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, veteran or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law, and to take affirmative action in accordance with applicable laws and Executive Orders.