Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Research Chemist
- Independently formulate new chemical formulations and/or new process technologies for protecting wood against biological and non-biological deterioration.
- Successfully conduct multiple scientific projects simultaneously with little supervision.
- Conduct bench scale formulation studies, synthesis and perform wet analytical methods.
- Conduct pilot scale studies for product launching and commercialization.
- Evaluate the properties of experimental formulations and products using established procedures.
- Assist in the completion of other research projects as needed.
- Provide assistance in the preparation for implementation of field trials and the subsequent reporting of test results.
- Provide technical support for trouble shooting treating plant issues and assist manufacturing process as well.
- Prepare clear and concise written reports/summaries with minimal supervision and editing.
- Interface with chemical suppliers to evaluate new and unique chemicals for developing new wood protecting formulations.
- Maintain neat, orderly and clear records of work completed.
- Must be hands-on in conducting laboratory and pilot formulations and testing.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering/Material Science related area.
- 5 years of industrial formulation or R&D experience.
- Strong expertise in emulsion chemistry, colloidal chemistry, polymer chemistry, physical surface chemistry and/or nanotechnology is plus.
- Industrial R&D formulation experience in solvent borne and/or water borne formulations will be preferred.
- Be creative, independent and motivated.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Safety, health, and environmental awareness.
- Flexibility to adapt to varying situations to attain goals and meet deadlines.
- Must maintain a good attendance record.
- Team player and ability to set priorities, analyze problems, work independently, and manage time effectively.
Koppers Inc. and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, genetic information, ethnicity, national origin, race, religion, sex, veteran status, or any other category or characteristic protected by federal law or by any applicable state or local law.
Koppers, headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is an integrated global provider of treated wood products, wood treatment chemicals and carbon compounds. Its products and services are used in a variety of niche applications in a diverse range of end-markets, including the railroad, specialty chemical, utility, residential lumber, agriculture, aluminum, steel, rubber, and construction industries. With more than 1,800 employees, it serves its customers through a comprehensive global manufacturing and distribution network, with facilities located in North America, South America, Australasia, China and Europe.
Koppers is also firmly committed to advancing a Zero Harm culture that places the care and protection of its people, environment and communities above all else. This focused approach empowers employees to ensure safe operations through a heightened awareness of process safety, product safety, environmental stewardship and security.
Koppers was established in December 1988 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and became a publicly-traded company listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 2006.