State of Georgia
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Legal Administrative Assistant- Continuous Recruitment ONLY
at State of Georgia
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve theState of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality tothe agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably andvigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities ofthe Attorney General. The Department ofLaw is organized into the Executive Office, five legaldivisions, four specialty units and an operations division. The position filled through this announcementwill serve within the Government Services & Employment Division.
Under generalsupervision, position provides administrative and clerical support to attorneyswithin one section of a division. Dutiesinclude but are not limited to using advanced word-processing skills to editand prepare legal documents; preparing files for submission to courts; opening& closing case files; responding to and routing telephone calls; usinglegal related software to document attorney work & time, maintaining time& leave records for attorneys; maintaining case files, etc. This position may work closely with section'sparalegal(s).
1. Prepares pleadings and otherlegal documents for filing with the courts and service on opposingcounsel/parties.
2. Utilizes E-filing as designatedby individual courts.
3. Answers telephone calls; takesdetailed messages and/or routes telephone calls to appropriate personnel; respondswhen appropriate to calls from clients, attorneys, and citizens; and providesgeneral information or transfers calls to other divisions of the office asappropriate.
4. Prepares, copies, faxes, scans,emails and/or mails a variety of legal documents, correspondence, and othermaterials.
5. Prepares and types matterinformation on new cases in CMS.
6. Creates files for open matters.
7. Organizes and maintains filingsystems of all relevant legal documents on matters/cases; maintains sectionfiles.
8. Handles incoming mail andpackages for the section and/or division.
9. Prepares for delivery and sendsoutgoing documents, packages, and other materials to appropriate parties.
10. Conducts clerical research torespond to inquiries, questions, or requests.
11. Data entry to maintainingdatabases and reports.
12. Uses computer software to performclerical assignments.
13. Attends section, division, anddepartmental meetings as required.
14. Closes files and coordinates the removal of closed files; transportsclosed files to storage area; and boxes and handles logistics for closed filesto send off site.
15. Provides assistance to othersections within the division with support duties when needed.
16. May monitor the use of andmaintain an adequate inventory of office supplies and equipment for section'spersonnel.
17. May maintain records of leave balances for section personnel.
18. May work on organizational andother special projects as requested by section personnel.
19. May maintain and update contact information lists for SAAGs whorepresent section's clients; may distribute those updated lists to attorneys ona regular basis.
20. May establish and/or maintainrecord-keeping and filing systems and/or reference manuals/materials.
21. May maintain calendars (includingelectronic calendars) and schedule appointments, meetings, and/or conferencesof section personnel.
22. May make travel, lodging, and/orequipment arrangements for section attorneys related to court appearances,training seminars, etc.
23. Interacts with clients andcontacts in a way that promotes respect, encourages cooperation, andcontributes to excellent performance.
The above statements are intended to describethe general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned tothis title. They do not include all jobduties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does notnecessarily require these duties.
Three (3) years of legaladministrative experience, experience utilizing Microsoft Office applicationsin a legal environment. Ability to typeapproximately 40 words per minute (wpm) and passing of technical skillsassessment tests.
Additional years of administrativeexperience in a legal environment.
A criminal background check is completed on all candidates;employment is also contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results ofthe background investigation. Candidates that are being stronglyconsidered for the position will also be required to submit a Department of Lawemployment application & waiver, Georgia Department of Revenue TaxClearance letter and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unableto provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. Allapplicants will be considered, but may be screened for the preferredqualifications of the position, and may not necessarily receive aninterview. Applicants who are not selected will not receive notification. SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE. Position posted untilfilled.
*Applicantsare required to attach a resume for consideration.