Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
AVP, Model Development (L11)
This AVP. Model Development role will develop statistical and machine learning models as well as analytical solutions for various business functions in Synchrony, including consumer/commercial acquisition risk, customer behaviors, customer experience, marketing, operation risk, etc. This includes model design, data extraction, model development, model documentation and validation, communicating to stakeholders, and relevant ad-hoc analysis.
- Lead the discussions with business stakeholders to design appropriate model specifications to solve business problems
- Develop statistical and machine learning models using large datasets to predict performance targets per model design specifications
- Extract and manipulate large datasets from data warehouses and Hadoop to prepare for modeling samples, using SQL, SAS, Python, Spark and other tools
- Lead the design and development of scalable, efficient processes for large scale data analyses, model development, and model implementation
- Solve modeling and ad-hoc problems creatively with strategic insights
- Lead third party vendors to develop custom models for Synchrony, and evaluate such solutions for their efficacy and risks
- Write model documentation and support model validation process. Ensure modeling process compliance with internal and external regulatory guidance
- Keep pace with the latest developments in risk modeling, data science, machine learning and regulatory environment in order to provide expert guidance to the business functions
- Act as a technical resource and mentor for junior team members
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned
- Bachelor's degree or in lieu of degree, high school diploma and 9+ years of analytics experience
- 5+ years of analytics experience or Master’s/PhD and 3+ years of analytics experience, including:
- 3+ experience in statistical modeling within financial services or related industries
- 3+ Experience with large scale data manipulation within data warehouse or big data platforms
- 3+ Experience with SAS, SQL, Python or other data science programming
- Master’s or PhD Degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Math or related quantitative field preferred
- Experience with machine learning modeling using Python, PySpark, Tensorflow, or similar software systems
- Experience with the application of regulatory requirements for Model Risk (e.g. SR 11-7/OCC 2011-12)
- Experience with model documentation and ability to explain technical items to business stake holders
- Understanding of credit scoring models; understanding of credit bureau, master file, and transaction data
- Strong project management and execution skills, with attention to details
- Excellent written/verbal communication, problem solving, and inter-personal skills, with flexibility to adapt to matrix organization structure
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- You must be willing to take a drug test, submit to a background investigation and submit fingerprints as part of the selection process
- You must be able to satisfy the requirements of Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
- Effective 1-1-18, new hires (Level 4-7) must have 9 months of continuous service with the company before they are eligible to post on other roles. Once this new hire time in position requirement is met, the associate will have a minimum 6 months’ time in position before they can post for future non-exempt roles. Employees, level 8 or greater, must have at least 24 months’ time in position before they can post. All internal employees must have at least a "consistently meets expectations" performance rating and have approval from your manager to post (or the approval of your manager and HR if you don’t meet the time in position or performance requirement).
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
- Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
- If you need special accommodations, please call our Career Support Line so that we can discuss your specific situation. We can be reached at 1-866-301-5627. Representatives are available from 8am - 5pm Monday to Friday, Central Standard Time.
The salary range for this position is 70,000.00 - 150,000.00 USD Annual
Salaries are adjusted according to market in CA and Metro NY and some positions are bonus eligible.
Job Family Group:Marketing
With roots in consumer finance that trace back to 1932, Synchrony Financial is a leader in consumer credit and promotional financing, providing a range of products for a diverse group of national and regional retailers; including Main Street mainstays, local merchants, manufacturers, buying groups, industry associations and healthcare service providers. We are the largest provider of private label credit cards in the United States based on purchase volume and receivables and we provide co-branded dual card credit cards, promotional financing and installment lending, loyalty programs and FDIC-insured savings products through Synchrony Bank. Who do we serve? Hundreds of thousands of customers across the U.S. and Canada spanning the electronics and appliances, home furnishings, automotive, power products and sports, jewelry and luxury, retail and healthcare industries.
Our purpose is clear: we are committed to pioneering the future of financing, improving the success of every business we serve and the quality of each life we touch. This is fitting because when you join Synchrony Financial, you’re joining an organization that recognizes that our people are our greatest asset -every single one of them. That’s why we are deeply committed to investing in the growth of each member of our team. And with 80 years of experience, we know how to develop talent. At Synchrony Financial, we work hard to offer competitive rewards, compensation and benefits. When you join us, you become part of a stimulating work environment with vast opportunities to sharpen your skills and embrace new leadership challenges.