The American Red Cross
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Disaster Program Manager
at The American Red Cross
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
At the Red Cross, there is no such thing as a small disaster. In every single case it is the Red Cross’ mission to help people affected by disaster meet their emergency needs that include shelter, food, clothing, and health and mental health services. As a paid staff member, you will support our loyal Red Cross disaster volunteers who serve selflessly to provide a bridge of assistance until individuals and families can resume a normal life.
We are currently seeking a Senior Disaster Program Manager (Sr. DPM) to lead our staff and volunteers in our Metro Atlanta region. The Sr. DPM’s work hours may vary and the selected candidate needs to be flexible to work on call 24/7 to cover disasters, attend weekend events and travel as requested for deployments, meetings and training. You must have a valid driver’s license to operate a Red Cross vehicle. Travel will also be involved, up to 60% of the time.
The Sr. DPM will lead and manage a team of local Disaster Program Managers responsible for the implementation of disaster preparedness, response, and recovery programs in the local area. Plans, directs, and implements department, service or program overall strategic goals and objectives. Ensures the development of Disaster Leadership Volunteers in each of the program support functional areas of the disaster cycle in order to meet the needs of the territory, region, state and division.
This position operates as a part of the Disaster Management Cycle processes. It is responsible for local preparation, response and recovery management as well as management of government partnerships with assigned territory. Drivers for this work include the number of municipalities within its coverage area, the amount and complexity of program activity, presence of significant grant funding, geography, risk, population, frequency of events, and regional structure.
This position works closely with, is supported by and receives technical guidance from program support functions at the regional level.
1. Act in a facilitative leader role across the disaster cycle: The Red Cross will align with government and work to enable the entire community to participate in all phases of the disaster cycle by shifting from being not only a provider of direct services but also a facilitative leader.
2. Within scope of position, represents the entire disaster function of preparedness, response and recovery.
3. Hires, trains, coaches, counsels and evaluates performance of direct reports and volunteers.
4. Ensures that American Red Cross services are available to diverse communities.
5. Executes a comprehensive district response when required. Serves during times of disaster as the operational leadership for the region for any scale of disaster; Participates in a leadership role on larger operations regionally, division or nationwide.
6. Mobilizes the local community to prepare for, respond to and recover from emergencies. Meets the needs and expectations of clients and stakeholders. Develops human and material resources (volunteers, partners, community agencies, shelter and vendor agreements, etc.) to ensure the full cycle of disaster services is delivered.
7. Manages local responses by the deployment volunteers on a daily basis in a rapid and accessible manner. Serves during times of disaster as the operational leadership for the territory/local level; Participates in a leadership role on larger operations regionally, division or nationwide
8. Leads and manages a primarily volunteer team responsible for the implementation of disaster preparedness, response, and recovery programs in the local area. Ensures the development of Disaster Leadership Volunteers in each of the program support functional areas of the disaster cycle in order to meet the needs of the territory, region, state and division.
9. Program delivery: Accountable for the implementation of the disaster services program in a territory in alignment with established metrics
10. In conjunction with program support functions in a region participates in local planning, exercises and training, including exercises called by local partners (VOADs, EMAs and LEPCs).
11. Serves as the Red Cross thought leader on a local level with government and other agencies and organizations involved in disaster. Ensures interface with community leaders, corporations, businesses and government agencies.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster. Should this occur, salary compensation would be given in accordance with the law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience with social services or service/program delivery, and providing leadership to a department, program or service. Demonstrated experience in coordinating staff and volunteer activities. Ability to interpret program trends, results, and related data to formulate recommendations. Ability to manage multiple priorities with strong skills in planning and problem-solving. Ability to relate well and effectively with diverse groups and individuals.
Management Experience: Minimum of 3 to 5 years staff management experience.
Skills and Abilities: Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Develops project plans & budgets. Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of program or service. Demonstrated ability in creating presentations and developing training modules. Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals. Demonstrated analytical and decision-making skills to develop creative processes for continuous program or service improvements. Demonstrated analytical and decision-making skills to develop creative processes for continuous program or service improvements. Proven track record of collaboration, facilitation, problem solving, marketing, leadership, and partnership management. Additionally, this position requires ability for planning, public speaking, project management and process improvement. Individual must be customer oriented, organized, and able to operate with an orientation toward solutions with an external focus, and team orientation.
Other: Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Familiarity with federal, state, and local employment laws.
Must be able to perform all assigned responsibilities under “grey sky” requirements. This position is also responsible for ensuring that all American Red Cross finance policies and procedures are followed as related to the scope of work activity.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs.
At the American Red Cross, you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services. We need people who want to contribute their individual talents to help their neighbors locally, across the country, and around the world. Whether you’re a recent graduate or an experienced professional, if you share our passion for helping people, join us in for a rewarding and challenging career opportunity that support our mission.