YMCA of Metro Atlanta
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
School Break Camp Counselor - Forsyth YMCA - DCP460
at YMCA of Metro Atlanta
- YOUTH DEVELOPMENT - Nurturing the potential of every child and teen.
- HEALTHY LIVING - Improving the nation's health and well-being.
- SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY - Giving back and providing support to our neighbors.
Nature and Scope:
Under the supervision of the Teen and Camp Director, in cooperation of other staff, and consistent with the YMCA mission, the School Break Camp Counselor is responsible for achieving the goals of the day camp through planning and implementation of activities which provide guidance, leadership, values education and enjoyment for children served by camp. The School Break Camp Counselor is responsible for the safety and well-being of children in his/her care.
The Forsyth County Family YMCA is located in Cumming, GA. This facility is a 55,000 square foot state of the art Y facility.
- Must have a minimum of two years experience in work relating to youth development, either paid or volunteer.
- Be able to provide sound, caring and positive leadership for children.
- Provide, to everyone, extraordinary customer service
- Be able to recognize and implement safety standards in all program activities.
- Be able to participate effectively with other staff in planning and implementing creative and fun camp activities.
- Have a good understanding of the mission and values of the YMCA and be able to demonstrate and teach from those values.
- A working knowledge of computers: MS Word, MS Excel, data base management.
- Exemplify YMCA ideals, leadership qualities.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, work independently, problem solve and possess effective time management skills.
- Strong customer service skills and personal commitment to service and hospitality.
- Pass a criminal background and drug screening check
- Pass a Motor Vehicles Record and have own transportation
- CPR within 30 days of employment and maintain throughout employment
- Carry out daily program tasks related directly to the position's scope and responsibility.
- Stay updated on current issues regarding youth development programs.
- Promote, monitor, evaluate and ensure that all membership programs run smoothly with a high level of service to participants.
- Maintain branch and association certifications in CPR and any other required certifications and/or training required by the Metro Atlanta YMCA.
- Assist as needed in all aspects of the YMCA and its community. • Participation in and partner with Membership cabinet activities.
- Responsible for maintaining and reporting incident/accident paperwork.
- Other duties as assigned.
Plan and implement programs which will assist in the development of the camper physically, mentally, socially, and spiritually and which promote YMCA values: caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. Teach the basic skills of various programs to campers in a safe and respectful manner. Assist in the social adjustment of a camper through positive group experiences. Act as a positive role model while providing consistency in leadership and guidance. Stimulate creative growth and development. Responsible for safety of campers at all times including enforcement of camp rules and regulations. Arrive at camp on time to start shift and complete shift before leaving. Keep proper records as required. Show consistent support towards other staff members and respect of personal property. Build and maintain enthusiasm in all groups. Check group attendance each morning and report absences to Teen and Camp Director. Develop lesson plans for scheduled program times which include provisions for safe program operation, program opportunities and camper age and ability difference. Execute lesson plans as an integral part of daily program, making changes as needed. Report all program changes and equipment needs to the Teen and Camp Director. Maintain all equipment used for program in good working order. Attend and participate in all staff trainings and meetings. Report to the Teen and Camp Director any difficult or unusual situations. Share problems with the Teen and Camp Director so they can be solved. Facilitate proper group behavior at all times. Other duties as assigned. Adhere to Metro Atlanta YMCA policies and procedures.
ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCIES - Leader:
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports our Annual Campaign Fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings.
Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Effect on End Result
This position has a primary impact on the overall effectiveness of the Membership Programs and the success of services to the community. The effectiveness of this position is primarily measured by the stated satisfaction of members and ensuring a safe, clean, controlled and fun environment in accordance with the Metro Atlanta YMCA Philosophy.
Ergonomics: Sitting, bending, stooping, standing, 15% repetitive keyboard work, seeing, verbal communications, lift up to 25 pounds
It's fun to work in an organization where people truly BELIEVE in what they are
We're committed to bringing passion and people together to champion
communities where everyone belongs.
Location:Forsyth County Family YMCA