YMCA of Metro Atlanta
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
WCY Group Exercise Inst. I
at YMCA of Metro Atlanta
- YOUTH DEVELOPMENT - Nurturing the potential of every child and teen.
- HEALTHY LIVING - Improving the nation's health and well-being.
- SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY - Giving back and providing support to our neighbors.
WEL 400 – Group Exercise Instructor- Level I
Branch: Northwest YMCA
Supervisor: Wellness Director
Nature and Scope:
Under the direct supervision of the Wellness Director or Group Exercise Coordinator, the Group Exercise Instructor-Level I shall be part of a staff team who is responsible for conducting YMCA group exercise classes. The Group Exercise Instructor is responsible for appropriate music selection, for class set-up and take-down, and for class members’ education about THE COACH APPROACH® and fitness-related issues. The Group Exercise Instructor must perform program responsibilities in accordance with the policies, organizational competencies, mission, and values established by the YMCA of Metro Atlanta. The Group Exercise Instructor will have a key leadership role in YMCA of the USA initiatives to “strengthen the foundations of community” through healthy living.
- High school or GED degree required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- May have less than one year of experience in teaching group exercise classes or one or more years of group exercise participation.
- Must obtain/maintain full access to Y-Link (link.ymca.net) and to the Metro Atlanta YMCA Workday account: https://www.myworkday.com/wday/authgwy/ymcaatlanta/login.htmld.
- Must obtain YMCA/ACE online Group Exercise Instructor Certification (or equivalency) and supplemental courses required by Y-USA/Y-Metro Atlanta within 60 days of hire date. If teaching group strength and/or conditioning classes, the YMCA Strength and Conditioning Instructor Certification is also required.
- Must maintain certifications by uploading continuing education credits via
Y-Link (link.ymca.net) prior to date of expiration.
- Must possess current CPR/AED certification and renew it every two years prior to date of expiration. Updated licenses shall be uploaded via Y-Link (link.ymca.net).
- Must obtain and maintain Specialty Certifications (e.g., Y-Metro Atlanta Pilates, Group Cycling, Active Older Adult) or outside certifications approved by Metro Atlanta Y (e.g., TRX, Barre, Zumba, Pound) prior to teaching the designated format.
- Must pass group exercise audition based upon the format(s) of group exercise instruction for which the instructor is being hired.
- Must be knowledgeable about fitness-related issues including but not limited to aerobic vs. anaerobic exercise, nutrition, benefits of exercise, injury-prevention, and THE COACH APPROACH®.
- Must obtain THE COACH APPROACH® Orientation within 30 days of hire date.
- Must possess a high degree of human-relations skills, must be able to facilitate class interaction and socialization, and should be considered a team player by members, co-workers, and management staff.
- Exemplify YMCA ideals and leadership qualities.
- Possess ability to handle multiple tasks, to work independently, and to problem-solve. Possess effective time-management skills.
- Possess strong customer-service skills and personal commitment to service and hospitality.
- Pass a criminal background and drug-screening check.
- Carry out daily program tasks related directly to the position's scope and responsibilities.
- Stay updated on current issues regarding group fitness/wellness programs.
- Promote, monitor, evaluate, and ensure that group exercise classes run smoothly with a high level of service to participants.
- Maintain branch and association certifications in CPR/AED and any other certifications/training required by the Metro Atlanta YMCA.
- Maintain all wellness certifications by meeting continuing education requirements. YMCA Health & Well-Being certifications require 10 CECs every two (2) years from YMCA/ACE continuing education courses or other courses provided by/approved by national group exercise certifying organizations, which are recognized by Y of the USA, e.g., ACE, ACSM, AFAA, or NETA per Y-Link (link.ymca.net).
- Attend all required staff meetings and trainings.
- Secure his/her own music and select music that is suitable for a family setting.
- Assist as needed in all aspects of the YMCA and its community.
- Participate in and partner with wellness cabinet activities.
- Ensure the follow-through of incident/accident reporting procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
This position has a primary impact on the overall effectiveness of the wellness department and the success of services to the community. The effectiveness of this position is primarily measured by the stated satisfaction of members and by ensuring a safe, clean, controlled, and fun environment in accordance with the Metro Atlanta YMCA Philosophy.
Sitting, bending, stooping, standing, 15% repetitive keyboard work, seeing, verbal communications, lifting up to 25 pounds, and exposure to noise levels at an average of 90 decibels (music) over an eight-hour day.
It's fun to work in an organization where people truly BELIEVE in what they are
We're committed to bringing passion and people together to champion
communities where everyone belongs.
Location:Northwest Cobb YMCA